Written by Heather L. Cole, December 8th, 2023
December is a great time to review, reflect, and plan for the next year. So, Lodestar Solutions thought it would be a great time to provide a short and easy checklist for our Cognos Analytics and Planning Analytics customers to ensure they are not at risk of failing an IBM Audit. So, we created this simple IBM ILMT Checklist for Cognos Analytics and Planning Analytic Customers.
PVU and ILMT Basics
For those new to administering Cognos or Planning Analytics licensing let’s start with the basics. If you know the basics, just skip down to the ILMT checklist…
What is a Processor Value Unit?
A PVU (Processor Value Unit) is a unit of measure used by IBM to determine the usage on the server. Technically, a PVU license is assigned to the Analytic Server, meaning there is a cost per core processor. Simple enough right? Not so fast. The value assigned to each core depends on the hardware. Not all core processors are treated alike. It’s kind of like being taxed a little higher for a luxury automobile, the better the performance the higher the tax. A server’s Processor Value Unit count is defined by the brand, model, and number of physical processors running in the server and the number of core chips per processor. To calculate the number of Processor Value Units, it also is necessary to refer to IBM’s PVU-per-core ratings for current processor technologies, which are updated on IBM’s website here.
What is the ILMT?
IBM® License Metric Tool (ILMT) helps IBM Passport Advantage® (PA) customers determine their full and sub-capacity processor value units (PVU) licensing requirements. It helps calculate the number of PVUs available to install Passport Advantage PVU-based software, including supported virtualized servers. Passport Advantage and Passport Advantage Express customers can order this tool at no charge by selecting the IBM License Metric Tool, part number D561HLL.
For more information see our blog, ILMT Tool Questions and Answers.
And check out IBM’s page on the ILMT. See, we aren’t making this up.
Who Needs the ILMT?
If you have Cognos Analytics PVU licensing, we are pretty certain you need it installed. If you have IBM Planning Analytics licensing that includes PVUs, you must have it installed. Note there are licensing options that don’t require the ILMT but if you look at your proof of entitlements from IBM just look for PVU licensing, it should be in the name. Need help, contact us at Services@lodestarsolutions.com.
Here's our IBM ILMT Checklist
1. Processes Value Unit Licensing (PVU) with IBM:
- Confirm whether your organization has adopted Processes Value Unit Licensing (PVU) with IBM by checking your Proof of Entitlements from IBM.
- Ensure that all relevant departments and personnel are aware of and compliant with PVU licensing.
2. Non-Production Environment for Testing and Upgrades:
- Verify the existence of a designated Non-Production Environment for testing and upgrades.
- If you are using a non-production environment you should ensure you have the proper licensing for Non-Production too. This requirement depends on the unique software you use and who uses it, so check with Lodestar to confirm if this is required. (See our blog for more information.) To ask specific questions, email us at email@example.com.
3. Run the ILMT Report Quarterly:
- Confirm that the ILMT report is run regularly at a minimum every quarter.
- Schedule and assign responsibility for running the report to ensure consistent monitoring.
4. Check ILMT Report Results Against the Licensing You Own:
- Review ILMT report results to verify compliance with processor value unit licensing owned.
- Take corrective actions if the report indicates potential over-usage to avoid licensing issues.
- You can reduce the core processors allocated.
- Purchase additional PVUs of licensing. Email us at Sales@lodestarsolutions.com to receive a quote.
5. Archive 2 Years of Reports on a Different Server:
- Establish a process for archiving ILMT reports, ensuring that at least two years' worth of reports are stored.
- Store archived reports on a separate server or secure location for easy access during audits or historical reference and to ensure when you upgrade you don’t blow away the reports with the old environment.
The main reason we see clients fail audits is they either don’t have the ILMT installed and properly running with their PVU licensing, or they don’t have 2 years of reports.
Remember to adapt this ILMT Checklist to the specific needs and nuances of your organization's IT environment. Regular reviews and updates to the checklist may be necessary to accommodate changes in technology, licensing agreements, or organizational processes. We hope you leverage our IBM ILMT Checklist for Cognos Analytics and Planning Analytic Customers.
Need help, have questions? Lodestar Solutions has your back! Contact us if you need:
- To review your IBM Licensing
- To install the ILMT Software
- To automate the running of the ILMT and more…
Just email us at Services@lodestarsolutions.com. We are here to help.