Did you spend your childhood playing team sports? Are you secretly wishing you were young enough to still play competitively on a winning team, but have realized that those years have passed?
“Business Analytics is a Team sport!”
The skills you learned on the ball field are directly applicable to your goal of winning with Business Analytics. Here are lessons I learned on the soccer field that I apply to every Business Analytics and Business Intelligence projects.
“The achievements of an organization are the results of the combined effort of each individual.” – Vince Lombardi
- Players must communicate openly.
- The experience of being on the team for players is contingent not just on the other players, but also on support of the coaches and fans.
- A good coach can make average players into winners by building the team and putting the right players in the right positions.
- All team players but know their role on the team and respect the roles of others.
- A single player can’t win the game. It takes the entire team!
- Attitude is more important than skill.
- Energy is contagious.
- Practice and discipline are key to success.
- The better you know your team members, the better you will play together.
- You need a game plan that addresses how to overcome the anticipated challenges.
- Time outs are an opportunity to reassess the challenges and adjust your game plan.
- Every team member is responsible for the win or the loss.
“Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude. – Thomas Jefferson
It’s time to build your team and play your best game. With the right attitude, a clear goal and hard work, anything is possible.