Cognos Insight Download Instructions
New Cognos Users
There is a Cognos Insight download directly from the IBM Software Online Catalog. The Cognos Insight Standard Edition provides the full set of capabilities including:
· Importing from a variety of sources including spreadsheets, comma separated value files (.CSV) and corporate databases using the ODBC standard interface
· Share and open Insight files (.cdd files) with other Insight users
Existing Cognos Users
You are entitled to use Cognos Insight at no additional cost with the following roles:
· Cognos BI users with the Advanced Business Author role or above (includes Professional Author, BI Professional, BI Administrator or BI Advanced roles), or
· Cognos TM1 users with the TM1 Contributor role or above (includes Modeler role)
When licensed with these user roles, you have all the capabilities of the Insight Standard Edition (above) plus:
· Import data from existing Cognos reports
· Share files using the Cognos Connection portal
· Publish and distribute content to the server for managed deployment
· Extend content created with Insight to other Cognos tools and interfaces like mobile and Web
· Use Insight as the interface to contribute to a managed planning process
How does Entitled Cognos Users Download Cognos Insight?
· For BI users, you need to be on version 10.1.1 and install the “IBM Cognos Connection Installer for Cognos Insight component.” Insight will be installed on the your desktop when you are in Cognos Connections and try to open a document with the Cognos Insight file extension (.cdd). You also have the option of automatically installing Insight to all authorized users or to specific individual users by using the CognosInsight.msi file. For more information click here to access the documentation and go to the section “Remotely Installing Cognos Insight on Multiple Computers.”
· For TM1 users, you need to be on version 10.1. Insight will be installed on the your desktop when you are in Cognos Connections and try to open a document with the Cognos Insight file extension (.cdd). You also have the option of automatically installing Insight to all authorized users or to specific individual users by using the CognosInsight.msi file. For more information click here to access the documentation and go to the section “Installing Cognos Insight Using the Installation Program.”
Please Keep In Mind
Existing BI customers that have Advanced Business Author licenses are entitled to (and should look for) the Cognos Connection Installer for Cognos Insight. This is the server add-on that can be applied which will enable Cognos Insight provisioning from the BI server (Cognos Connection/Welcome Page) for users who are authenticating onto that server.
What many search for is the Cognos Insight Standard Edition (stand-alone), which is not part of the entitlement for existing BI customers. For more information on the Cognos Insight download, contact Lodestar Solutions directly as these downloads are subject to change.